Greyfriars in the mid 1700s with a brick façade. The Downing family had converted the central monastery ruins into a house, which was also used as the Town Hall and a jail.
|Early 19th century, ruins of All Saints in the background. The Barne family, succeeding the Downings, removed their façade but used the old buildings for farming. All Saints had been abandoned in the 1750s, as it was too big and expensive for the village to maintain. It's remains finally dropped over the eroding cliff top between 1904 and 1920, but one remaining gravestone from its churchyard still stands on the cliff edge.|
|Central ruin - north face. All additions later than the Tudor period have now been removed. The standing remains are believed to have been the refectory wing of the monastery.|
|South wall before 2013 restoration, tree growing within it. All the perimeter walls were in poor condition before this date. Considerable effort (and expense) has since gone into repairing them and preventing further deterioration.|
|Reused gargoyle in South wall. Many of the walls have been repaired and reconstructed over the centuries and the builders often used architectural fragments salvaged from older buildings. We do not know whether this gargoyle originally came from the demolished monastery church or one of the many other churches in medieval Dunwich.|
|Western gates onto Monastery Hill. The two gates, one for carts the other for pedestrians, date from the late 14th/early 15th centuries. Note the fine knapped flint facing and the niches beside the smaller gate where statues would originally have stood.|
|Greyfriars Wood in summer - a haven for wildlife and a tranquil place to stroll.|